Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day and the tonsils



The Memorial Day parade yesterday was indeed excellent.
The weather was cool, sprinkily and somewhat blustery, which I think kept away the large crowds we've seen in years past. 


 My lovely children plus Chyann's friend.



Memorial Day has always been a big part of my life.

When I was a kid I spent a lot of summers with my Dad's family in KS and they took care of the local cemetery (the family still does, just a new generation tending it). 
In the week or so leading up to Memorial Day we were at the cemetery mowing and weed-whacking.
Until every blade of grass was groomed to perfection.
The day before the cousins and I would take the flowers from Grandma's shed, clean them up and put them in Grandpa's pickup truck - we'd climb in the back for the short ride down the road to start putting them on the graves. 
My Grandma would come along behind us and make sure we'd done a good job placing them.
Through the rows of headstones we'd move. 
A bunch of sweaty, dirty kids with my Grandma following behind.
She'd tell us stories of the families that were buried there.
A whole family that died back in the 1800's from cholera.
One woman's eight newborn babies.
The tragic buggy accident and a drifters death.
The unique stones that marked a resting place. 
An angel, a petrified tree trunk, a plain wooden cross.

On Memorial Day there would be a huge service.
Folks would come from miles around to stand and be part of this tradition.
Honoring the soldiers who fought for our freedom.
Thanks to all of those who have!
and
Remembering loved ones.




Today is the day.

Tonsillectomy
for my eldest son.
Lots of ice cream and soup in his immediate future. 
Let's hope recovering from this isn't as bad as everyone says it will be.
Fingers crossed.

Later.












1 comment:

Nicole said...

Wow, that sounds like fun actually. Especially the stories. I love listening to the stories my grandma tells of years past!

I hope the tonsillectomy goes ok. I still have mine and am totally scared someday they'll have to be removed.