Monday, October 19, 2009

Rainrot


Our ol' gal Gypsy appears to have a mild
case of rainrot.

Rainrot often affects horses in wet weather. It is
caused by a fungus-like organism that lives in the soil.
The combo of water and dirt, as when a dusty horse
gets wet and rolls, makes an ideal place for this nasty
stuff to run-a-muck infecting the skin.

The hair gets matted in clumps that detach, leaving
oozy bald spots. The bald spots then scab up.

So, how to treat this problem? I talked to our vet
and he said to keep her in the barn - nice and dry
for about 10 days, grooming everyday, but no picking
the scabs! If that hasn't cleared her up, he says we'll
do some antibiotics.

I've read a lot of info about rainrot here on the Internet
and there appear to be a lot of different methods of
treatment. Since we've never had this particular problem
before I'm not sure what other avenues we should be
pursuing. Any ideas, let me know.

2 comments:

tainterturtles said...

I've never heard of rainrot...poor horse. I hope your horse recovers quickly.

PAK ART said...

I've never heard of it either, although I used to work in a vet clinic and we had a Newfoundland that always came in with hot spots. We had to shave the affected areas, wash it thoroughly and let it dry and get the owner to keep it dry. Your vet's advice sounds good to me but is it hard to keep the horse in the barn for several days?