Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Tis done

I'm happy to report that Chyann's fixator came off today with no big complications and she is currently snoozing on her bed in the living room!

The operation took about 30 minutes longer than anticipated and she woke up from the anesthesia completely miserable!

They had to give her soo much post-op pain medicine! More than enough to knock out a large man they said, but only barely made her comfortable. Apparently she has built up a bit of a tolerance to all the drugs since she has been taking tons of them for six weeks now.

They've left her seven pin/wire holes open to heal from the inside out with only gauze pads covering the holes so they will drain. The whole leg is then wrapped in a cotton batting type material, wrapped with an ace bandage and the new knee/leg brace with a hinge over that.
Seems kinda flimsy protection compared to the fixator, but apparently enough due to the rod holding the bone together on the inside.

She will be able to bend her knee now too. Which she is thrilled with, but scared to death to try because it might hurt. I can't blame her there, as a wire went all the way through her knee and it was straight for six weeks. Those muscles that have been stretched, had holes punched in them and not moved for so long are going to scream the first few times she tries it.

We saw all three of her orthopedic doctors today too.
The two that were in charge of the fixator part and her original ortho surgeon.
All three made a point to tell us how absolutely amazing Chyann has been through this whole ordeal and the head fixator doc even went as far as saying that she was the bravest young patient he's ever had and that we should really be proud of her. sniff, sniff you bet we are.

Now the healing begins.

Sounds like she'll have to wear the knee/leg brace and be on crutches for about 2 months. She'll have to get some strength back before heading back to school as well. Half days at first then full days as her strength increases.

This whole process has been so much more than we ever imagined, really.

Hell, I read everything I could find on it, talked to folks that had it done before and still it was more.

Like we thought she'd be back to school after two weeks or so, but she's been out now for six weeks, with another week maybe before she tries half days. Being confined to the wheelchair -loosing her independence, unable to walk for the most part has been so hard for her, this girl that is usually so active and always outside!

I reminded her and myself continually that it will all be worth it in the end. A nice straight spine, an even gait and no shoe lifts :)


tainterturtles said...

High-five Chyann! After reading your post, I will never complain again about my aches and pains.

Chyann is a real trooper.

Aunt Krissy said...

An end is in sight! That Chy! What a kid!

crochet lady said...

Yes, that's right it will be worth it. Hang in there!

lyndylou said...

She is such a star!

Anonymous said...

Kellie,I am so happy that thing is off her.I do think she is a tough kid.
I sure to miss all of you.Glad may is not to far away.Love Mom

PAK ART said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are improving for Chyann. It's got to be one of the hardest things for anyone, much less an active youngster like her. The end results will be worth it and when she's older she'll be glad to have had it done.