Sunday, July 24, 2016

Sunday AM coffee

It's been one of those weeks where you just shake your head and wonder wtf.

Our girl wasn't feeling well on Monday. 
Stomach ache, nausea and all that. Likely a virus right?
As the day wore on another odd symptom, stomach bloating. That was alarming to me. Go to urgent care. After four hours and a CT scan she was diagnosed with a bowel obstruction and admitted to the hospital for possible surgery.

Meanwhile one hundred and sixty some miles away at 1030pm the boy and I jump in the van for a midnight run to St Cloud.
Since I work from home I don't drive much anymore and almost never at night. I didn't think about this fact until we were on the highway surrounded by semis. I thought about my friend Krissy driving one of those big beasts and wondered if she was in every red one we passed.
 Sure am glad I've got those anti glare HD lenses though. No Christmas tree like blurring lights for me as I drove through the night at 80 mph. I was also thankful the moon was almost full and lit up the night on dark stretches of the highway allowing me to see if any deer were ready to bound in front of us.

I'm glad I brought the boy with me. He was my navigator and got me around and through road construction that would have been pretty tricky otherwise.
Finally we arrived after at the hospital and learned we were in a wait and watch situation for the time being. Which is just fine. You don't want to have an abdominal surgery if you don't absolutely have to.

 That first night in the early morning hours I was trying to get a little nap in when randomly I remembered I had recently read a book called Draculas. Course it was set in a hospital where a ton of mayhem ensued. Which then made me think about when the boy was hospitalized in early spring he was worried about the zombie apocalypse. GRRR turn off the brain and sleep. NONE of that crap is going to happen lol 

The boy stayed with us for a day and then went home with the Hubby.

After multiple tests and almost three days it was determined the obstruction had resolved on it's own with bowel rest. Whew! Huge sigh of relief.
After her discharge I brought her home with me where she was so happy to sleep in her own bed again.
Having a bowel obstruction is basically your intestines twisting up in some random way that doesn't allow matter to flow through. Whether from scar tissue or whatever it is a serious condition never to be taken lightly.

Anyhow our girl is feeling much better and will be home with us for a week or so which is perfect as my Mother and Gerry are coming to visit this week for a few days. 
I am hopeful the eldest will find a break in his schedule to come home too.

In other news we have had some sweltering hot weather this week. Mid 90's and oppressive humidity. Making the real feel temperature about 105*.
Of course we had a baseball double header the day after coming home from the hospital. I was sure they'd cancel the game, but nope. The boys had two awesome wins! 
This coming Saturday is the last Wheeler team tournament of the season. Then we are on to fall ball. 

It rained most of day yesterday which made it a good day to rest up, which I think we all needed.
I did can up my first batch of sweet and spicy pickles though and picked a few zucchinis. I even have a few tomatoes that are almost ready. Can't wait to eat that first one. 



Ami said...

That is so scary.
I'm so glad things resolved without having surgery.
And middle of the night interstate travel...
I'm so happy to hear that things are okay!!!

Nicole said...

Holy cow, I bet that phone call was a scary one to get! I'd have been freaking out! Glad it resolved itself!